I am pleased to be able to launch a new Diverse Curriculum Charter for all the primary and secondary schools and colleges across my constituency to sign up to show their commitment to delivering a truly diverse and anti-racist education.
This Charter was developed in collaboration with The Black Curriculum, following the difficult conversations had this year regarding racism and inequality in our society. The eruption of global Black Lives Matter protests, debates on dismantling institutional racism at home, and the terrible toll of Covid-19 on Black, Asian, and minority ethnic communities have shown that young people today are still growing up in a society plagued by racism.
I firmly believe it is now time for a concerted effort to teach anti-racism as part of a powerfully diverse curriculum. Without this, we will miss the chance to educate our young people about how they fit and are connected in our society. Diversity can no longer be a bolt-on to the curriculum – it must be at its heart.
I am immensely proud that this Charter is supported by:
- The Black Curriculum
- Manchester City Council
- The Runnymede Trust
- National Education Union (Manchester District)
- GMB North West & Irish Region
- UCU (University of Manchester Branch)
- Kids of Colour
- Impact of Omission
- The Equality Act Review
- National Association of Head Teachers (Manchester Branch)
- Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Resource Centre & Education Trust
- Explore Learning
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The University of Manchester
- Equal Education
- Manchester Museum
This year has been incredibly challenging for schools but in spite of this, I have seen first-hand the excellent work schools in Manchester Gorton do in bringing diversity and anti-racism to every lesson. It is my hope that this Charter will build on this work and bring all schools together in pursuit of the best outcomes for our children.
Below you can see an up-to-date list of the schools and colleges who are already signed up.
- Birchfields Primary School
- William Hulme’s Grammar School
- Cedar Mount Academy
- Chapel Street Community Primary School
- Xaverian College
- Manchester Young Lives
- Stanley Grove Primary Academy
- St Agnes’ C of E Primary School
- Oswald Road Primary School