The Department for Transport, Network Rail and Transport for the North have jointly published a consultation seeking views on proposals for a more reliable train service across the North.
The consultation brings forward options to create a simpler, more evenly spaced timetable, which reduces the risk of delays and cancellations for passengers. The solutions being proposed will reduce congestion in Greater and central Manchester as well as reducing the number of delays – which will have a knock-on benefit for passengers across the North.
My constituents will know well that the rail network in the North has fallen far short of delivering the service passengers need and deserve. By taking part in this consultation you have the chance to offer your views on plans to get rail services in the region to run on time, in the hopes that we will have a reliable and dependable service which the people of Manchester Gorton deserve.
They are considering 3 options aimed at improving train performance in the Manchester area and north of England by:
- Simplifying and spacing service patterns more evenly
- Reducing the number of services running on the most congested part of the network
- Separating train movements as far as possible to minimise the amount of delay one train may cause on another
These options change the routing and frequency of some existing journeys.
They are asking for your views on:
- The principles we have been following in developing these options
- The details of the options, which are provided
- How any proposed changes may affect your journey